Széchenyi Falujáért Egyesület 

 



 

In the cultural, historical and religious centre of the village of Nagycenk, on the south west elevation of Széchenyi-square, stands the three naved romanesque styled parish church, named after Saint Stephen (István). Above the entrance, the crest of  the Széchenyis held by eagles  can be seen, which is surrounded by the family's motto: "Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos" (If God is with us, who can be against us).

In 1859 Antal Tolnay, the local parish priest turned to Széchenyi because of the collapse of the old, medieval church ceiling, and two months later the count in Döbling welcomed and commissioned  Miklós Ybl to carry out the planning of the church. He requested that Ybl would build 'an although quite spacious God's house, which would exclude all flourishing decorations, and is modest, and had stipulated that the tower should not be built over the entrance but rather at the side of the church. Széchenyi was rushing the completition of the plans but because of his death, he could not see them. The matter of building the church was taken up by his widow and his son. The building process started on the 20th of August 1860 , and the church was dedicated on the 20th of August 1864.
Its organ is originated from Vienna, by maestro Ficz, and it has previously been the musical instrument of Theater Kärtnerthor.



Támogatóink:


EU-Agro Kft.