The Széchenyi Mausoleum, that of the Széchenyi-family tomb, which is located in the middle of the village cemetery, is one of the most vistied places in Hungary where the nation can pay tribute and respect.

The mausoleum has two parts: the baroque chapel laid out in an oval shape, which was built on the request of Zsuzsanna Barkóczy (Antal Széchényi's widow) in 1778, at the time of the village cemetery's opening. On the left handside in the cript underneath the chapel, behind gravestone with epigraphy, lie the bodies of István Széchenyi  and his wife Crestentia Seilern.

The other part of the mausoleum is the classicist, oblong shaped vestibule, which between 1806-1810 on the request of Ferenc Széchényi was built by József Ringer, the reconstructor of the castle. In the centre of the Greek front elevation, between two Doric columns, one can find the entrance. In the burial vaults located in a cross shaped foyer underneath the classicist vestibule, there are 47 Széchényi descendant (from the counts family). This is also the place of the Archbishop of Kalocsa,  Pál Széchényi's glass casket, and nearby one can see the iron chest which holds István Széchenyi - showing the bullet hole in his skull.

In the back wing of the burial place one can visit the Széchenyi family's sarcophagus, into which the remains of the descendants from Sopron, Széplak, and Egervár were brought and were buried in 1910. (Here one can find the bones of György Széchényi and of Antal Széchényi.)

From 1st November to the end of March the Mausoleum can be visited only after contacting the tourguide on telephon.. Even in the rest of the year, if groups are arriving it is advisable to ring on the phone first.
His address: Kecskés Zoltán, Nagycenk. Tel: +36-30-308-4800


EU-Agro Kft.